Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fountain Pens and Other New-fangled Writing Tools



by Lorna Kerin Beall 

My daughter, Jana, had to drag me kicking and fighting like a roped calf into doing this blog. I also bellowed when my girls first suggested I use the computer instead of my typewriter. They said something like, "Mom you need to enter the 20th century. Using the computer makes writing so much easier." (Of course now I’m saving a ton of money on Wite-Out.)

In my defense, I remember being forced to use a fountain pen in penmanship class. As a fourth grader at Riverview Grade school in Prosser, Washington in l951 (or was it 1952?) having to use that fountain pen made me feel like I was a forced to use quill and ink. (Now I’d love that old-timey feeling, but back then it wasn’t a positive thing.) In fact, because of the inkwells, I was sure we students were still sitting at in the same ancient, dilapidated desks once used by pioneer children!

I had to dip and hold the tip of my pen in the ink bottle (which did not fit in the manufactured hole in th e desk) and pull a little gadget on the pen which filled it. Then I was free, not to create, but to practice my cursive over and over. This resulted in drips and mess and much blotting. I was assured this was the most modern way to write. (Now where have I heard that before?) 
                                                            
Fortunately, the next year my fifth grade teacher, whose birthday was the same day as mine, drove out a whole six miles to our little stucco farm house for a fried chicken dinner and homemade birthday cake. Besides a big dose of confidence, he gave me - marvel of all marvels - my very first ball point pen! Did he guess that this shy, freckled-faced ten-year-girl would one day be a writer?

So here I am blogging once again. Actually, I have to admit it is fun. And it’s especially rewarding because of those of you who read and/or respond to our blog so graciously.

6 comments:

  1. I loved fountain pens. I miss long hand. You are making me nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vickie,

    Thanks for your comment! I would love to see your cursive. Mine's terrible.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lorna... it's funny that we are on the same page here..

    I was just digging in my drawer today for me electric mixer (it's next-door at my daughter's house again!) and I was thinking, what would my kids do if I started using the hand-crank mixer again. Would she borrow it? I doubt it, and it would be there every time I wanted it!

    My grandma used one... and I did too (when I was a child). Hers had the famous green wooden handle, mine was black (more modern in the '70's!)....

    This morning, I wondered if my children's generation will even know about those hand-crank mixers. I doubt it :(

    Soni
    www.http//onlysonicido.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Mess Hall Queen(Soni.)

    I have an ancient egg-beater.
    The paints worn off the wooden handle so I don't know how old it is! I'm sure its really old since
    not too long ago I had a more modern (not electric) mixer.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very glad that your daughter did push you to continue your writing you have a gift and I am sure happy to be a part of reading what you post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks KatesPlace,

    I am grateful for Jana's encouragement and help, though I don't need much pushing. I'm miserable unless I'm writing.

    It's so sweet of you to say I have a gift!

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your thoughts and comments!