Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Mended Valentine


by Lorna Kerin Beall

Years ago I had a beautiful blue willow platter that I treasured hanging on my dining room wall. One day when I was gone, my two younger daughters chased each other around the table, and knocked the platter down, shattering it. Filled with remorse, they found each miniscule piece and glued it back together again. I promptly hung it up again. My oldest daughter, Jana, pointed out something I already knew. The platter was ugly. But I persisted in leaving it up for years. Finally, in an act of love, Jana replaced it. I took the broken platter down, and proudly hung the new one. But I still cherish the remembrance of how my younger daughters so lovingly mended the other. That incident and something a friend told me about an experience of hers inspired this little piece.

The Mended Valentine

When my friend’s lovely home burned,
with all its fancy furnishings and fine collectibles,
she said the thing she regretted losing the most
was a torn and taped-together valentine.

Her grown son had made it when he was just 6 years old.
She’d been canning that day long ago,
and was tightening the lid on her last jar of peaches,
as her boy labored to get both sides even on a valentine.
His little tongue was stuck out in concentration,
as he drew and smudged and erased, again and again.
She tried to help, but was pushed politely away.

“Must be for that little red-headed girl he likes,
the one who lives in the brown house down the street,”
she told herself, as she continued her tiresome canning job.
She sighed. The steam from the kettle, the 100 degree heat,
and the blazing wood stove were wearing her down.

With great effort, she hoisted the last rack of filled mason jars
from the giant pot that was boiling and splattering on the stove.
In the hot sun streaming through the kitchen windows
the peaches in the glass jars looked like gold.
But they felt more like lead.
She fanned herself with her wilted apron.

Her son chose that moment to hand her his creation.
“For me?” she asked, taking it, but then setting it down,
as she pushed the kettle to a cooler spot on the stove.
When she turned back she saw that her teary-eyed son
Had snatched it up, and was ripping it to bits.

She tried to hug him, but he pulled away, and ran from the room.
She got down on her knees and picked up each tiny piece.
She put the valentine back together with tape, tears and love,
And after she showed it to him, she placed it with all of her other treasures, in an old cedar chest.

My friend had saved the valentine all those many years.
Occasionally when the chest was opened,
her tall and bearded son would pick up the valentine,
admonishing her for keeping the silly old thing.
And sometimes, his face as red as the valentine he’d made,
he’d even admit that he was glad she had.

And though the mended valentine is long gone,
along with the polished keepsake chest that held it,
I know it remains secure and cherished in both their hearts.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we visited Laura Ingall Wilder's house in Manfield, we saw Laura's blue willow dining set. So that's where you got your old-timey taste, Mom!

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Mom. The fact that you kept the plate all those years (even though it was "ugly") shows your caring and loving spirit. I was always sorry that I broke the plate, but I knew that you kept it because you were saying that we meant more to you than that wall decoration.

    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christa,
    I can still "see you" doing that
    nearly impossible task. That spoke
    volumes about your love for me.

    And Jana, in searching for a new
    platter all those years, spoke volumes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I can't seem to stop looking for that Blue Willow platter... Love you, mom!

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story! it reminds me that everything on this earth really is nothing but ash...except for our souls :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. It brought back my mother's reaction to my urging her to throw away an old mirror with a crack. "No siree! My little girl painted that for me, and I love it."
    Mother had hung the mirror, and the plaster gave way. It cracked, and she cried. As a ten-year-old, I said we could fix it. I took red and green model airplane paint and made a dreadful rose branch along the crack. Mother beamed and hung it back up. Then she paraded the neighbors in to see it. She always kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mess Hall Queen,
    Profound! Thanks for sharing.
    Lorna

    Peggy Greene,
    Red and Green model airplane paint!
    And parading the neighbors in to see! What amazing love!
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your thoughts and comments!